Tuesday 10 November 2020

Thotlakonda and Bavikonda: the Buddhist Sites of Visakhapatnam

Before making the trip to Vizag (Visakhapatnam), like the rest of other curious visitors, I naturally Google searched on the attractions the city had on offer. Truth to be told I wasn’t expecting to see Buddhist sites attractions popping up during the search. I was pleasantly surprised!

I visited Thotlakonda and Bavikonda Buddhist complex on the second day during my three days stay. Thotlakonda, the 2000-year-old Buddhist heritage site, is around 20 kms from the city. It attracts tourists from across India and abroad. 

I took a local bus from the city and got down at the ornate welcome gate of Thotlakonda Buddhist Monastery, right next to the main road at the foot of the hill. The welcome gate is built in a Buddhist style. There is an entry fee. I had to walk for nearly 15-20 min on the winding road uphill from the gate. It helps if you have your own vehicle which makes it easier to go up the hill instead of walking.

Thotlakonda

My attentive eyes noticed the beautifully maintained road from the welcome gate to the main entry gate. The blooming white and pink bougainvilleas added colours to the place. As I walked higher up the hill in the hot sun, the blue sea (Bay of Bengal) and the coastline came into view as well. It was a sight to behold! I stopped occasionally to enjoy the scenic views and take rest under the shade of a tree.

blooming bougainvillae in Thotlakonda
the way to Thotlakonda
statue of Buddha in Thotlakonda
way to Thotlakonda
scenic view from Thotlakonda

I finally reached the main entry gate. There is a small concrete house on the left side of the gate. A notice board informing about the "availability of guides" stared at us from the verandah. But the said house was locked and it looked deserted.

info board at Thotlakonda
guide info at Thotlakonda
info board at Thotlakonda

The info board near the gate provided me the following tidbits about Thotlakonda Buddhist monastery. The ruins of the monastery complex were first identified by the Indian Navy during an aerial survey in 1976. The name Thotlakonda means “thotla=troughs” and “konda=hill”. It had flourished some 2,000 years ago. There are several rock-cut cisterns in various sizes, shapes, and depths obviously for storage of rain water to meet the drinking requirements of the monks. A circular chaitya griha (prayer hall), a congregation hall, a kitchen and dining hall are some of the structures discovered at the site. 

The dome of a maha stupa collapsed due to heavy rains a few years ago. There is a concrete path around the ruins and visitors are not allowed to venture away from the concrete path while exploring the ruins. It would have been extremely useful to the visitors if some info boards were installed for each ruin. It must also be mentioned the site resembled a jungle with overgrown bushes due to lack of proper maintenance. Sorry state of affairs!!! Unfortunately there is also no basic amenities like drinking water and washrooms for visitors at the location.

Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
the collapsed dome of maha stupa
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
one for the memories at Thotlakonda
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex
Thotlakonda Buddhist complex

After my exploration of the ruins, I retraced my steps back to the main road. My next plan was to go to Bavikonda Buddhist monastery complex. Now, Bavikonda monastery complex is located on another hill, at a distance of around two kms from Thotlakonda Buddhist complex. I waited for some time before I got a shared auto. The autowalla dropped me at the fork in the main road. I got down over there. I waited at a tiny shop for another vehicle to take me to the top of the hill. Another autowalla dropped me halfway at the foot of the hill. I had to walk again to reach the top of the hill. Phew!!! What a way to arrive at a place!!!

I was tired by the time I arrived at the entry gate. I noticed a lone solitary guard at the gate. There was hardly anyone at the isolated site. It was empty except for the guard and me. Thankfully after some time a few visitors arrived at the site. Just like Thotlakonda Buddhist complex, even Bavikonda monastery complex resembled like a jungle with overgrown bush everywhere due to proper lack of maintenance

Bavikonda
info board at Bavikonda
info board at Bavikonda

What I gathered from the information board at the entry gate is that this Bavikonda complex is believed to be dated from 3rd century BC, the golden age of Buddhism in India. The site was discovered by archaeologists, led by a shepherd, in 1987. The word Bavikonda in Telugu language means “the hill of wells”. It was so called because several shallow wells dotted the hill side years ago. Some of the structures discovered here are chaitya griha, kitchen, dining hall, vihara, votive stupa, and so on. The ruins are well maintained, but the grounds needed to be cleared from the unwanted grasses. I wished individual info boards were placed for each ruin with small details to make it helpful for the visitors. Visitors couldn’t obtain comprehensive understanding about the place and its importance in the absence of such detail info boards. The concerned authorities should look into it and do the needful. Steps should also be taken for the proper upkeep of the grounds

Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex
Bavikonda Buddhist complex

Suddenly I heard the whistle of the guard from afar. I realised he was beckoning everyone to leave since it was time to close the gate. The guard was kind enough to drop me till the main road on his bike. I returned back to Vizag on a local bus.

If you are considering visiting these Buddhist sites, better hire a private cab for a comfortable visit.

Thank you for stopping by!

 

Travelled on: 23 January 2020

© The content and images are copyright of Hema Hazarika (thehaflonggirl).

No comments:

Post a Comment